Pest Control and Extermination in Hopewell, VA
Bed Bug Pest Removal Company
- Before 1939 bed bugs were so common that when people traveled they carried pesticides with them “sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite” was quite apropos for the times. Then in 1939 a potent insecticide called DDT was developed and it became incredibly successful at killing insects. DDT was sprayed everywhere on crops, neighborhoods for mosquito control, in homes and forests to control boring insects. For the next 60 years, bed bugs faded into obscurity in the USA though they remained rampant in other parts of the world. In 1970, DDT was banned because it was found to be a cancer-causing agent and deadly to birds. World travel made easy in the 1990's brought bed bugs back into a USA unaware and unprepared to deal with the horrible creatures.
- Since 2009, Bed Bugs have become a rampant problem everywhere in homes, apartments and hotels, travel accommodations (planes, trains and automobiles) and really anywhere people congregate. There are new insecticides but increasingly bug bed insecticide resistance has made getting rid of them more difficult, expensive and time consuming.
- Bed bugs can travel up to 100 feet in one night to seek a blood meal. This makes it likely a neighbor's horrible bed bug problem could become yours should a bed bug travel along cables or plumbing routes from an infested home to yours. They have also been known to live dormant within a home for up to 14 months without feeding. They breed expansively and quickly. A female can lay 200 to 500 eggs in 6 to 10 months. It is thought that bed bugs don’t pass on disease but the wounds they make can become septic leading to death in some frail members of our society.
- Inspections: Our Inspectors will look everywhere these blood suckers can live. Bed bugs just don’t live in your bed because of their flat like bodies they can squeeze into very tiny crevices.
- The absolute best way to handle a bed bug infestation is to act fast: first get conformation that they are bed bugs by engaging a professional pest removal company to perform an inspection. If it turns out that you do have an infestation of Bed bugs, let the professionals kill the bed bugs- they have the training and license to use the most effective methods. Mostly what you can pick up at the corner store is inadequate so don't bother with it. Hopewell Pest Control will get rid of the bed bugs we have helped many clients- don't despair your lives will get back to normal. Contact us at- click to call (804) 668 - 9833
- Exterminations and treatment controls are accomplished through a heat and/or a spray:
- Specialized equipment is used to raise the room temperature inside the dwelling to a extermination temperature of at least 117 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour or more.
- Chemical treatment generally involves steam cleaning household items that can’t be sprayed and washing all bedding and clothing. These steps are time consuming and inconvenient which is why most clients prefer using a heat treatment. Many Pest Control Companies will use a combination of heat and pesticides.
- Termites normally enter a building along its foundation, through cracks, expansion joints, spaces in brick or cement block and holes around plumbing or cabling entering the home. Decks, porches, other wood structures and wood chips in contact both with soil and the home are attractive ways for termites to easily access your home. Pulling wood away from the home is a good preventive measure.
- Termite signs: The first indication of a termite problem could be the startling large swarm of winged fertile kings and Queens loosed through hastily constructed escape tubes. Once a colony gets too large, generally takes 3 to 6 years, the colony will send out a swarm of fertile insects on a mating flight to start a new colony. Termites normally swarm during daylight hours, following a rain event, between February and April- as soon as the environment warms up. This is the same time flying Ants swarm so the 2 species can be easily confused which really demonstrates the need for a professional inspection.
- The swarming termites are poor fliers only moving a short distance before settling to earth to begin a new colony- actually very few survive which is why the swarms are so large. Once a location is chosen the king and queen discard their wings to enable them to crawl along the ground easier digging out an underground nest. If a swarm is loosed inside a home and the termites can't reach earth, they will die of dehydration within a few hours probably on a window sill while trying to reach the great outdoors.
- Constant moisture is necessary for a termite body to survive without dehydrating so as termites forage for a food source they will always move through constructed mud like excrement tunnels to protect them from the drying effects of the sun or wind. The diameter of these mud tunnels will often indicate how much damage is being done to the home. Tunnels that are about 1/2 across are termites foraging for food. Whereas, tunnels 3/4 or larger diameter mean workers are moving foraged food back to the nest- the bigger tubes help them do it faster. Termite tubes with larger diameters indicates part of your homes building material is being carried down the tube to feed the termite queen and babies.
- Inspections: suspicions of termite activity in the home should be checked out right away by a pest control company. Pest inspectors know what to look for and they won't mistake flying ants for termites or visa versa. Act fast by getting help to save your greatest investment- your home.
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Drilling is the goal of chemically separating the termites from their humid soil so the termites will die quickly of dehydration. The process is used to eliminate existing termite infestations because spraying termiticides on the infested wood or the stress cracks found in Slab construction will not penetrate to the center of the cavities made by termites. This method of drilling and treating provides an effective way to kill the termite colony.
- Repellent Termiticides (pyrethroids) a fast-acting nerve toxin is highly effective against termites but low in toxicity to mammals (warm blooded, furry creatures, feed their young with milk and give live birth). Good to know for the safety of humans and their pets.
- Inspections: Pest inspectors will check moist locations or poorly packaged pantry items for ant colony foraging signs. After the inspection, we will advise what kind of ants are invading your home and what to do next.
- Control and treatments depend on type of ant sugar, carpenter and a variety of others. The treatments used are generally pesticides and repellents delivered in a spray or bait station.
- Removal of wildlife seeking to find a warm cozy home in your attic, such as squirrels, raccoons, bats or any other creature that crawls or flies into your home will require trapping specific to what ever creature it is.
- Control will focus on what cause the creature to enter your home in the first place and fix it.
Mosquitos and Ticks Treatment Solutions
- Mosquitos buzzing and biting can make it almost impossible to enjoy a nice meal on your deck and the abundance of Ticks on your clothes just after mowing the grass may leave you worried about their bites giving you lyme disease. You do have options working with RVA Pest Control to make your deck an oasis from mosquito bites. We can get ticks under control also.
- Contact us for a free consultation and we'll figure out where the mosquitos are breeding and stop it and we have impressive repellents to engage against those crawling ticks.
- Tick bites can cause disease as well as just being creepy.
- Treatment solutions are available that will protect your family from these disease carrying pests.
- Cockroach signs and symptoms: Cockroaches are nocturnal so you will seldom see one during daylight hours, but you may find dropping left behind that look like coffee grounds or black pepper. Sometimes, people will see a cockroach scurry away when they turned a light on in the bathroom overnight.
- No worries we can kill them: contact RVA Pest Control for a free inspection and we'll advise how to exterminate cockroaches in you house quickly and then explain controls to keep them from coming back.
- Controls and treatments suggested will depend upon the type of cockroach and the extent of the colony.